Friday, September 11, 2009

Palmyra Day 1


Today we arrived on Palmyra atoll. This island is considered one of the most geographically remote places in the world but I wont really be talking about the history of Palmyra here. Instead I will tell you about the day to day experiences I have. I will also try to post video and pics as often as possible. First exciting thing was the landing at the Palmyra international airport. First thing we did was have some lunch followed by safety briefings and check outs on the boats. Right off we saw a black tip reef shark while were being checked out on the boats. I heard there are lots of nesting birds on the island. Most interestingly the red footed booby. I am not sure but I bet this is similar to the blue footed booby which uses its pretty blue feet to attract mates. I wonder if red is as attractive. Finally we got all of the lab equipment set up and most importantly perhaps I have made my first skype phone call. Well hopefully these blogs will get more exciting but for now this will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment